Wireless Home Networking for DummiesBook - 2006
Get hooked up without getting tangled up in cords, wires, cables or techno mumbo. With Wireless Home Networking For Dummies, you can go wireless without going mad. It shows you how to plan, install, secure, and use a wireless home network for PCs or Macs. See how easy it is to share your Internet connection, files, folders, printers, and other peripherals. Put your gaming console on your wireless network and play multiuser computer games—even online. With lots of helpful diagrams, screen shots, and step-by-step instructions, this guide:
- Gives you the info you need to make wise wireless buying and connecting decisions
- Covers the latest security issues and hardware as well as today's wireless standards, including Wi-Fi/802.11 (a, b, g, e, and i), Bluetooth, UWB (Universal Wide Band), WiMAX, and ZigBee
- Tells you how to use an inexpensive networking kit to connect your gaming console to a broadband Internet connection and speed up your commands; that’s often a matter of virtual life and death
- Discusses alternatives to wireless networking, including Bluetooth, HPNA, and Home Plug
Learn how to network your entertainment center for all kinds of options. Whether you have a $300 TV set or a $25,000 home theater system, you can wireless enable almost any type of A/V equipment. Then you can use your PC to store audio and video tracks for playback on your TV and through your stereo, stream movies from the Internet and play them on your big screen, load pictures from your digital camera on your PC and view them on the TV, and more. This book will show you how to make your home entertainment system much more entertaining, with:
- Info on plugging into wireless with wireless A/V adapters
- The latest on wireless media servers like the Sonos Music System
- The scoop on the ultimate home theater PC (HTPC) that plays CDs and DVDs, acts as a PVR (personal video recorder); lets you play video games on the big screen, and more
- Tips for buying wireless bridges, along with some specific products and their Web sites
Find out about how to go wireless wherever you go, with info on public wireless hot spots and types of free and for-pay networks. Delve into the whole-home wireless revolution and see how you can add smart home devices to your network, connect to your car or your home security video monitors, use your cell phone as a remote control, and more. Wireless Home Networking For Dummies even gives you a look into the not-so-distant future and the wireless wonders in the works!
Baker & Taylor
Explains what equipment is needed to create a home wireless network and how to install and utilize multiple computers, Internet connections, printers, scanners, and more in a home networking environment.
Updated to incorporate the latest in wireless standards and security, a practical handbook explains what equipment is needed to create a home wireless network and how to install and utilize multiple computers, Internet connections, printers, scanners, and more in a home networking environment. Original. (Beginner)