Dynamic Brushwork for Oils and AcrylicsBook - 2009
Offers techniques and methods for making confident brushstrokes, tips for knowing when to stop painting, and a methodology for gaining confident brush skills more quickly using limited time and unalterable strokes.
Make Your Mark with Confident, Dramatic Strokes
Imagine painting with the virtuosity of the masters. With Bold Strokes, you can learn how, step by step. Beloved artist and teacher Mark Christopher Weber takes this seemingly complex manner of painting and breaks it down into simple, manageable steps that you can apply to your own style. He starts with the very basics so you can achieve success no matter what your skill level. Full-color photos and numbered steps illustrate in-depth instruction covering:
- Tools and Materials: everything you need from brushes to paint, including a section highlighting the advantages and disadvantages of both oils and acrylics
- Brushwork Basics: learn the mechanics of shaping brushes, loading paint and applying strokes for loose and expressive brushwork
- The Bold Challenge: use five basic strokes to manipulate thick paint and limit the number of overall strokes for heightened dramatic effect
Mark provides many engaging ways to practice these basic strokes and brushwork techniques. Next, he helps you develop your new skills as you apply them to a series of step-by-step demonstrations. You'll deepen your understanding of:
- Drawing and Measuring: get a quick primer of these essential skills, plus new methods for using them to achieve bold strokes in every composition
- The Power of Suggestion: learn to identify the primary elements of your subjects so you can reduce every composition to its essential focus and place bold strokes in the most effective places
- Practice and Perfection: apply what you've learned to a range of compositions in both oils and acrylics, including landscapes, flowers, animals, portraits, figures and more so you can go forward in your own style with new vision and skill
Every nuance is revealed in glowing detail. In no time, you'll use Bold Strokes to create a sense of motion, capture dazzling highlights, deliver emotional impact, produce lively color variations, and much more.